Thursday 21 September 2017

Lesbian Pastors who met as teenagers get married in their forties


Pastor Vanessa Brown and Pastor Twanna Gause who met as choir girls about 30 years ago recently got married at the New Vision Full Gospel Baptist Church in East Orange, New Jersey. Pastor Twanna, 45, is listed as the pastor of worship and liturgy at Rivers of Living Water Ministries located on Manhattan's Upper West Side neighborhood while her new wife is listed as the church's senior pastor.
 Dressed in an off-white wedding gown and carrying a bouquet of white roses and lilies, Twanna was walked down the aisle by Bishops Levi Richards and Eugene Gathers of the Fellowship of Affirming Ministries, replacing the role of her father Rev. Sam Gause Sr - an Atlanta based Pentecostal minister who rejected the invitation due to his non-belief in same-sex marriage.




Pastor Twanna Gause told The New York Times that
'my father would not come here because he does not believe in same-sex marriage. He told me the devil tricked me into this, and that if we had been married in biblical times, we would have been stoned to death'.
The father said;
“I believe that God wanted us to procreate through a natural process, and by no means am I happy about this because it is unnatural. I look at homosexuality as a mental disorder. If I start to tell you that I am an elephant, and start to behave as an elephant, that’s my choice, I choose to become an elephant. But you would probably choose to call a mental institution,” Rev Sam - Twanna's father Sam insisted, also adding that she would have been stoned to death in biblical times for the same sex marriage.


Vanessa, 46, and Twanna, 45, were joined together before 200-plus guests in Church. They met as teenagers while singing in the choir at a church in Jersey City.
Once upon an Amazing Grace, two choir girls met at a church in Jersey City, and before one of them could clear her throat to sing, she thought she had already caught a glimpse of heaven. “I was like, ‘Oh wow, what in the world, who’s that, she’s beautiful,’” recalled Ms. Gause, who was then a 16-year-old living in Paterson, N.J. “I immediately felt this kind of strange, warm feeling wash over me, and though I had not yet spoken a word to her, I could see myself loving this woman forever. My head was just spinning.”
Then 18-year-old, Ms. Brown was not struck by the same thunderbolt. “I was oblivious as to how Twanna was feeling. “I looked at her as this adorable, skinny little girl who I initially thought was so much younger than me, and I had no idea that she liked me in any way other than as a friend,” she said.

No comments:

Post a Comment