Thursday 27 April 2017

Steven Gerrard to take over as LFC's U18s manager


Liverpool Football Club can confirm Steven Gerrard will be appointed as manager of the U18s team ahead of the 2017-18 season.  The 36-year-old will take on the role this summer, having returned to the Reds in the position of Academy coach in February following his retirement from playing last year. In assuming the post, Gerrard will replace Neil Critchley, who will take charge of the U23s. Current U23s boss Mike Garrity will become part of Critchley’s backroom team for the new campaign.
Gerrard said: "I have really enjoyed my time at the Academy so far and feel I have learnt a lot from the coaching staff here already. After speaking to Alex [Inglethorpe], we feel as though it is time for me to step up and manage my own team.
"Neil has done a fantastic job with the U18s, so I hope I can continue where he left off, encouraging and nurturing players into the U23s and eventually the first-team setup."
The move represents the latest chapter in Gerrard’s Liverpool FC story, which spans in excess of 17 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment