Thursday 30 March 2017

Student who makes pencil cases out of dead animals is banned from Facebook


A design student has been banned from Facebook after scaring online users by turning dead animals into pencil cases. Student Jack Devaney, 22, has been removed from the social networking site and banned from buying and selling groups after he shared images of some of his wacky homemade creations. The Plymouth University design student spent nine years working as a butcher and decided to experiment with turning dead mice and rats into stationery holders.  His bizarre designs have been met with a mixed reaction with a growing client base overseas but some have taken offense to his unusual works of art. The budding designer achieved notoriety after posting photos of a pencil case he made out of a dead rat on the image sharing site Imgur. Pictures of the pencil case, which is made out of a real dead rat, have now been viewed almost 500,000 times.




Mr Devaney said his recent global recognition has been a real boost to business - and he's since sold his strange creations all over the world. He said: 'There's been a varied response. The average posts range from 'This guy is a nut job' to 'Where can I get one', but I'm always polite when I'm responding.'
The 22-year-old student has been banned from Facebook and a number of buy and sell groups. 
He said: 'All I wanted to do was put a smile on their faces. I think some people choose to be offended. They could just ignore it.'
Mr Devaney first started making the pencil cases after coming across some bad taxidermy online and wondered if he could make his own.
He said: 'I'd worked part-time as a butcher for nine years so I've been sort of desensitized to the process. It also meant that I knew how to pluck, skin and dress different animals.'
Mr Devaney said he was banned from the social networking site for up to three weeks for 'spamming and abuse'.



He told The Herald: 'People seem to have stopped saying nasty things now and have started acting on things.'
'I got banned on Facebook from posting to groups, which was my way of trying to get more people to see what I'm doing and maybe get rid of one here and there.'
Eventually he was banned from Facebook entirely.  
He also claims to have received a letter from Natural England, asking him to register with them and apply for a taxidermy license.
'I imagine someone is trying to get me into trouble in some way, shape or form,' he says.



2 comments: