Sunday 26 February 2017

Meet the Sikh who wears the world's largest turban that takes him 6 hours to put on and weighs 45Kg


Meet devout Sikh Avtar Singh Mauni - the proud owner of the world's largest turban. The holy man says his extra large headgear weighs a hefty 100lb (about 45 Kg) and measures a staggering 645m (2,115 feet) when unwrapped - the same length as 13 Olympic-sized swimming pools. The 60-year-old has been regularly adding to it for the past 16 years and it now takes him up to six hours to get it on. Mr Mauni said: 'I don't consider it to be a burden. I'm most happy when I wear it.
'I just keep putting on the cloth from top to bottom one layer at a time just like you would lay the storeys of a building.



'On the rare times I don't have my turban on I keep getting this feeling of being incomplete, that some part of me is missing. I get afraid that I may fall and I keep wondering "have I lost something, where is my turban?"'
He added: 'Until the time I have no more have strength in my limbs I will carry this turban on my head.'
Most other Sikhs wear turbans that measure between five and seven metres, but Mr Mauni, from Patiala, in the Punjab, has decided to take it to a whole new level.
The length of the cloth is yet to be officially verified but if proved correct it would overtake current Guinness World Record holder, Major Singh, whose turban measured 400m.
.


In full attire, Mr Mauni also carries a sword and heavy bangles, which weigh an additional 87lb (40 Kg). The height and width of his bulbous headgear makes entering doorways extremely difficult and getting into a car is impossible. So Mr Mauni rides a motorcycle on his regular pilgrimages across the Punjab.
Not surprisingly he has become something of a celebrity - but the attention is not always welcome.

1 comment: