Thursday 18 August 2016

Inspiring story of make-up vlogger who was born with a facial tumour


A 21-year-old vlogger is making a name for herself on YouTube with her make-up tutorials despite being born with a facial tumour that leaves her unable to speak or eat. Marimar Quiora once hid her face from strangers in the street, but now proudly bares her beauty to millions of people who follow her online. She was born with a facial tumour called cystic hygroma, which means she has to use sign language in her videos to communicate. But the inspirational student won’t anything hold her back, and now she is turning traditional beauty standards on their head with her powerful message of self-love.
Marimar, from California, said: “To me, beauty means to accept yourself for who you are, and to ignore what other people tell you.
“You show your beauty how it is, it doesn't matter if you have a different looking face, accept yourself how you are.”




Marimar’s mum Maria didn’t know of her condition until after she was born and in her younger years she would struggle with her appearance.
Marimar said: “It has affected my mouth since before birth. Before, my face and head were bigger and I went through the process of many surgeries over several years to shrink my face and mouth to what you see today.
“It affects me in several ways. I cannot speak, I breathe through a hole in my throat, I eat through a tube in my stomach and the hearing in my right ear is diminished.”

Marimar with family members

Brave Marimar has undergone multiple procedures over the years to shrink the tumour but now she is embracing her beauty and encouraging others to do the same.
She said: “When I was younger I would talk to myself in the mirror. I would tell myself I was beautiful.
Marimar had always been interested in makeup but two years ago she decided to throw caution to the wind and start her own video blog on YouTube and she could never have predicted it’s success. Now Marimar has had over five million views and gets countless messages from women who she has inspired.

1 comment: