Monday 16 May 2016

Serena Williams wins Italian Open




Serena Williams beat Madison Keys in straight sets to win the Italian Open - her first WTA title in nine months. The world number one beat her fellow American 7-6 (7-5) 6-3 to triumph in Rome for the fourth time since 2002. Williams, 34, last won a title in Cincinnati in August, and has since lost finals at the US Open, Australian Open and Indian Wells.
"I have tried to defend there once, twice, three times before," Williams said of the Paris Grand Slam.
"It didn't quite work so well. But this year is different. I'm going to definitely go in there and I feel more calm and I don't feel stress to have to win.
"I feel like I just am happy to be out here."
Williams showed the value of experience as she claimed her 70th career title in her 89th final, with Keys playing only her second.

1 comment: