Friday 10 July 2015

Tragic end to school excursion as pupil die by knocking his head against pole

Scene of incident, Smith Street, Durban CBD
A 16 year old Lesotho boy, Madiehe, who was on a school outing has died after knocking his head against a pole in the full view of his fellow pupils and teachers. The boy was said to have stuck his head out of the window while the driver drove past a street pole on a narrow road in Durban CBD. He was part of a group of 106 pupils of Molapo High School in Leribe, Lesotho on a field trip to South Africa. "Where is my child?", where the only audible words the mother of the deceased could utter when the news was broken to her, after which she had to be admitted to hospital for shock.

My personal thoughts:
I get appaled when I see drivers with toddlers standing in the front seat, or in between the two front seat, trying to catch a glimpse of what is happening in front without being properly strapped in. Sometimes its the sight of kids sticking out their head in order to wave at passerbys. Little do we know that this habits tend to grow with them, with a larger percentage dropping it off way before reaching their teenage years.
In a situation whereby kids are placed in care of adults, I wonder to what extent preliminary cautions are being taken to make sure they stay out of danger. For a kid to be sticking out his head from the bus, I'll have expected the teachers in charge to have cautioned such a child, except maybe he/she wasnt aware of what was happening. Like I said, this are my personal thoughts and I am in no way placing the blame on any individual involved in such  a horrific incident. My heart goes out to the parents of the deceased.


3 comments:

  1. someone was definitely careless. Either the driver or the teachers in charge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. quite unfortunate. that's why some parents would never allow their wards to go on school excursion

    ReplyDelete